Pro Safety and Training is an Approved Training Provider for Order 43 Medical providers as well as being an Approved Training Provider through RESP-FIT. We have been conducting testing for over 8 years and are one of the leading and most experienced providers of fit testing and fit test training in Brisbane.
What Exactly is Face Fit Testing?
Face fit testing is a process to check that the worker can don or put on the respirator and it seals adequately on their face.
How is Fit Testing Completed?
Fit testing is completed using a PortaCount, which works by sampling air on the outside and inside of the respirator. The outside concentration is divided by the inside concentration, and the score has to be above a set fit factor for the test to pass. For Half Face respirators this is 100, and for Full Face this is 1000.
Half Face or Full Face or disposable?
Prior to testing we need to know what respirator is used in your workplace along with the make and model of the respirator (ie 3M 6225 Kit, 3M 9322A+ or Sundstrom SR100). Unfortunately we can’t tell you exactly what respirator to use in your workplace as this is based off of AS/NZS 1715:2009 and your workplace air monitoring. We can provide suggestions and provide cost effective respirators on the day of testing (3M and Sundstrom) if required.
How Long Does Face Fit Testing Take?
Quantitative face fit testing takes approximately 15 minutes if a pass is achieved. We generally allow 30 minutes per test and test 2 workers at the same time to minimise downtime.
Is There Any Training Involved?
When we conduct fit testing we provide basic training in line with Section 7.6.3 of the Silica Code of Practice, this includes:
- Why respirators are being worn and when they are required.
- How the respirator actually works to lower your exposure to a contaminant.
- The limitations of the respirator being tested.
- How to assemble the respirator.
- How to don or put on the respirator, and how to dof or take off the respirator.
- How to complete a “Fit Check”.
- How and when to change the filters.
- What your current filters will protect you against.
- How to clean, maintain and store the respirator.
We can contextualise the training to meet your exact needs and provide ongoing support as required.